RDEK update

The weather forecast is calling for continued hot, dry conditions for at least the next few days with very little precipitation on the horizon. The winds we have been experiencing are expected to continue and there is a chance of a small cold front moving in Sunday through Monday carrying isolated gusty winds. Our relative humidity is very low during the day and, combined with the heat and wind, we have strong burning conditions. Current Evacuation Alerts or Orders: • Evacuation ORDER for Moyie North Continue reading →

IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION – All Lakes / Water Bodies in this Area Closing to Public Access as Part of Backcountry Closure effective 1PM this afternoon

FROM RDEK IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION – All Lakes / Water Bodies in this Area Closing to Public Access as Part of Backcountry Closure effective 1PM this afternoon Just got confirmation minutes ago from the Ministry. The backcountry closure that goes into effect today at 1pm across covers all Crown land. Water surfaces in BC are considered Crown — and as such there will be NO access to any lakes, rivers, water in the Rocky Mountain Natural Resource District. So no public access to land or water. Continue reading →

Backcountry Closed Effective 1pm Mountain Time Saturday September 2/17

Backcountry Closed Effective 1pm Mountain Time Saturday September 2/17 (posted: Sept 1/17 11:37am) REPOSTED From SE FIRE CENTRE: For Immediate Release (Sept. 1, 2017) CASTLEGAR – In the interest of public safety, effective at noon Pacific Time on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017, all Crown land within the Rocky Mountain Natural Resource District is closed to public access due to the extreme fire danger rating, the number of unprecedented aggressive wildfires throughout the region, and moderate winds forecasted over the next few days. http://www.rdek.bc.ca/depa…/emergencyservices/emergencyinfo/   http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/!Project/WildfireNews/912017~84227_17%20AreaRestriction%20MAP%20RockyMountainForestDistrict%2020170831%20V3.pdf

Hwy 93 Open

UPDATE – #BCHwy93 is OPEN from Radium to the Alberta border with smoke advisory, alternate routes via #BCHwy1 and #BCHwy95. Highway 93 Both directions Smoke from wildfire may affect visibility. Travel is recommended between the hours of 07:00 and 14:00 mountain time. Drivers should anticipate reduced speed and possible delays. The highway may close without notice to ensure safety for motorists. Drivers may take highways 1 and 95 ‎as an alternate route. Updated on Sun Aug 6 at 6:24 am PDT. Drive BC

Highway 93 South is closed

Drive BC Highway 93 Both directions Highway 93 South is closed from Radium to Castle Junction due to a forest fire. No estimate for re-open, assessment ongoing. Drivers may take Highway 1 to Golden BC then south via Highway 95 as an alternate route, next update 10 pm Saturday August 5.  Updated on Sat Aug 5 at 2:30 pm PDT. (ID# 249843)

Highway 93 Open

Dive BC Highway 93 Both directions     Highway 93 South is now open. Fire fighters will be working adjacent to the highway and reduced speed zones will be in place. Drivers should anticipate possible delays, the highway may be closed without advance notice to ensure safety for motorists. Drivers may take Highway 1 to Golden BC then south via Highway 95 as an alternate route. Updated on Sat Aug 5 at 10:57 am PDT. Reply Forward

RDEK Update

Good morning,   They are hoping to conduct that controlled burn on the east side of Island Pond fire today.  We do expect it will generate a lot of smoke – so if you see the smoke / plume increase this afternoon, I wanted to reassure you it is part of their planned controlled burn.   The estimated fire size has not changed and they are now estimating it to be 35% contained.   They have the full set of resources on the fire again Continue reading →

Highway 93S Closed From Radium to Castle Junction

Highway 93S Closed From Radium to Castle Junction Due to Verdant Creek Fire (posted: 3:20 PM) FROM DRIVE BC: Hwy 93S Closed in both directions from Radium Hot Springs to British Columbia/Alberta border (97.4 km) due to Forest Fires. No estimate for re-open, assessment ongoing. Next update 12 noon Sunday, August 5. Updated on Fri Aug 4 at 1:59 pm PDT